Friday, July 25, 2008

Summer in the City

Last week I had a whirlwind trip to NY. Most of it was for business but I always like to try and take in NY...even if it is for a moment...here is what I found:

Dine...
If I only have a short time in NYC, I always go to my favorite places for food. There is nothing like the sophistication of Balthazar for a morning wake up. Full bowls of cafe lattes and warm brioche while sitting inside the most beautiful space. Designed like an old Italian or French railroad cafe, the seating is compact and the details are amazing. Floors covered in old tile, rich wood-carved walls separate the dining space from the bakery. Everywhere you turn you experience old Europe in architecture with a sensory overload. I love being here...when on the go with the day moving fast, I often go to Dean and Deluca. Their presentation of food-on-the-go is amazing. It is a market full of the beauty of food. Great sandwiches that beat the usual NY pizza pick up. For the gourmet on the go, Dean and Deluca is a must.


Explore...
Whenever I am in a cab in NY, I am constantly passing shops and places that I wish I could go to...there is so much to explore and every trip usually yields a new find. I have stayed in many interesting places in NY but this trip I tried a new hotel - The Gramercy Park hotel. Fashion forward, interesting textures and bold colors make up the decor of a really a fun place to stay. Located next to Gramercy Park, which is fantastic to peek into and even better if you have a key. The area is great. The place is hip and is one of the nicest residential areas in the city.

Collect and Inspire...
Some of my favorite shops like ABC Carpet and Home offer a world of inspiration. I love it when I enter a retail space that immediately gives me a sense of taking something with me. Here I always find not only cool new things, but I often leave having experienced something new in store design and home decoration. The message here is one of be "environmentally conscious" while adding beauty to your home and life. I love being here. The first floor is where colors abound and I start collecting tokens to take home from my trip. This and street vendors often provide small treasures that I can easily take home to fill my shelves of reference and inspiration. Fabrics with fabulous trims, pillows with amazing detail, and even elevators are decorated with a million dried flowers that make waiting for the ride home a moment to contemplate. Statements of taking the ordinary and adding beauty are everywhere. I love visiting NY...each season has its own special gifts. While winter and snow offer a feeling of nostalgia, summer nights walking through Tribeca offer the underground vibe of art and film.

Boho fantastic, unique and hip...

No comments:

visit my website

house and little house boutiques